Cripps Nubake is Tasmania’s leading plant bakery. The company’s heritage goes back to 1878 when the first commercial bakery was opened at 91 Elizabeth Street Hobart by William Cripps.
William Cripps was born on the 3/12/1857 and died 7/10/1944. Williams obituary stated that he was recognized as the leader in the installation of machinery for the hand of flour for the formation of baking.
As the population of Hobart Town grew, William moved his bakery to bigger premises at 99 & 101 Elizabeth Street and from these premises he never looked back. William had many sons who followed in their Fathers trade as bakers. Around 1945 the business was growing at such a rate that a new bigger and state of the art modern bakery was built at 269 Argyle Street and Cripps Bakery operated from there until 1969 when the ownership changed to Consolidated Foods. During the early years Cripps purchased a number of bakeries, such as Spencers Bakery which was established by Henry Brock in 1838 and taken over by Robert Spencer in 1890. This bakery operated from the lower end of Maquarie Street next door to the old Prince Picture theatre. At the time of the merger with Cripps, Spencers Derwent Bakery was Australias oldest bakery. Other bakeries that were amalgamated into Cripps were Continental Bakery South Hobart, Fishers Bakery West Hobart and Olympic Bakery in Derwent Park.